This is another dish that caught my eye in the latest Cooking Light magazine that I had to add to my menu plan this week. I paired it with Cucumber Salad per Cooking Light’s suggestion. I loved it. It was a great weeknight dinner. Quick, tasty, healthy and not too heavy.
Recipe: Spicy Shrimp Noodle Bowl
Summary: Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
- 1 lb medium Shrimp -tail-on peeled and deveined
- 28 oz Chicken Broth – fat-free, low sodium
- Ginger – peeled and cut into two 1/4″ slices
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper – thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Yellow Onion – thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Sugar Snap Peas
- 2 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 3 oz. Rice Stick Noodles – uncooked
- Cilantro Leaves -for garnish
- 1 Lime – cut into wedges
- Remove shrimp tails and set aside.
- Combine shrimp tails, broth and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl and discard solids.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add pepper, onion,and garlic. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add reserved broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add shrimp, peas, chili garlic sauce, salt and noodles. Cook 5 minutes or until noodles are soft.
- Top each bowl of soup with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Meal type: dinner
Recipe: Cucumber Salad
Summary: Recipe from Cooking Light October 2010
- 4 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Dark Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 cups Cucumber – thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Radishes – thinly sliced
- 3 tbs Green Onions – thinly sliced
- In medium bowl combine cucumber, radishes and green onions.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, black pepper and salt until emulsified.
- Pour over cucumber mixture and toss gently to combine.