Yesterday I needed lunch. I actually made it to the gym this morning, so keeping in the vain of being healthy I wanted a low fat lunch. I dug around in my kitchen and found a can of black beans. Perfect. I could make a tasty, quick and healthy black bean soup. I scoured the vegetable drawer and found half a red onion, half a jalapeno, cilantro, half an avocado, some leftover leeks and garlic. I think the soup would been even better with a little shredded queso fresco but mine had turned a funny color and went by way of the trash can instead of the soup.
Recipe: Quick Black Bean Soup
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 small red onion chopped
- 1 Leek – trimmed and sliced
- 1 clove Garlic – finely chopped
- 1 small Carrot – chopped
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper – seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 14.5 oz can Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- 10 oz. Chicken Broth
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Avocado – chopped
- 2 tbsp Cilantro – roughly chopped
- Heat a little olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Saute red onion, leeks, garlic, carrots, jalapeno pepper, and cumin. Saute for about 5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add black beans and chicken broth to pot and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Off the heat and puree using either an immersion blender or regular blender. You can add in some extra chicken broth to thin at this point depending on the consistency you desire.
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with cilantro and chopped avocado.
Cooking time (duration): 30
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: lunch