Recipe: Spiked Mulled Apple Cider
Adapted from Epicurious
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 tbs firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 Naval Orange
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup Apple Brandy or Spiced Rum
- Whipped Cream
- Stud the Orange with the cloves.
- Combine apple cider, brown sugar, allspice berries,cinnamon sticks and apples with apple cider in a large sauce pot.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add in brandy or rum and heat.
- Discard solids and keep warm.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.
For Apple Brandy you can use Calvados or Apple Jack.
To make a non-alcoholic version simply omit the brandy/rum.
Try rimming the mugs with caramel dipping sauce (the kind you buy for apples).