This was very simple and quick to prepare. I usually keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer. To defrost in 20 minutes, I place the shrimp in a bowl and cover with cold water and change it out about every 5 minutes. While you are defrosting the shrimp you can set the rice to cook and prep the vegetables for the dish. The flavor of this dish was tasty but not overpoweringly strong, which is how my husband prefers Thai food. I served it over the Orange-Scented Brown Rice and a Cucumber and Carrot Ribbon Salad.
Recipe: Thai Coconut Shrimp
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 lb Large Shrimp – cleaned and deveined
- Sea Salt to Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 Yellow Onion – chopped
- 1 1/2 Tsp Srirarcha Sauce
- 2 Cloves Garlic – minced
- 1 Tsp Ginger – Freshly Grated
- 1 Red Pepper – cut in thin strips
- Handful of Green Beans – blanched
- Lime – juiced
- 1/4 cup packed Basil Leaves – cut in large strips
- 6 oz. Coconut Milk
- 2 oz. Chicken Broth
- Heat olive oil in a large wok over medium-high heat.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and Srirarcha Sauce to work and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp and saute 3 minutes. Push to sides of wok and add green beans and red pepper. Saute 1 minute.
- Bring shrimp mixture back to center of wok and combine with green beans and peppers.
- Add in coconut milk and chicken broth. Simmer about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and basil.
- Serve over Orange-Scented Brown Rice.
To blanch green beans, cook the beans in a pot of boiling water and remove after 1 minute with a slotted spoon. To cut the basil into large strips, stack the leaves on top of each other, roll them up together and slice in half.
Meal type: dinner
- 2 cups Brown Rice
- 4 1/2 cups Low Sodium Low Fat Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbs Butter
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Combine all the ingredients, place in rice cooker and cook.
- If you do not have a rice cooker place in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat about 35-40 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.