This past Saturday my kids and I visited the Lancaster County Farmer’s Market in Wayne, PA. While there, I sampled delicious cheeses, tasty smoked meats, coffee and pastries, bought fresh produce and meat. The market is chock full of local delicious goodies. Susannah Foo even has a dumpling stand there, where I could not pass up, are you ready for this, Popcorn Dumplings. How yum does that sound? And they were. I also made a stop at Semann’s Homemade Specialties for Middle Eastern and Greek food. There I purchased meat to make lamb and chicken gyros, tzatziki sauce, and pitas. I bought some beautiful, fresh and very affordable produce.
I came home with all sorts of goodies. The kids loved exploring the market, picking out fruits and vegetables, sampling meats, cheeses and treats. The next day we enjoyed Gyros for dinner and so easy to make. I just fried the gyro meat in a dry pan and drained it on paper towels. Once plattered with the pita and the tzatziki sauce, it was all ready to be stuffed inside half a pita and topped with sauce for a delicious sandwich. What’s the perfect accompaniment for a Gyro? Greek salad or tabuleh salad were my answers. My husband on the other hand voted for french fries and I agreed. I decided to make them in the oven to cut down on the oil. I grabbed my Mandolin (one of my favorite kitchen tools, in fact, I have 2 a mini one and a large one) to cut the potatoes. And we were on our way to a quick and yummy dinner.
Recipe: Crispy Oven Fries
- 3 Medium Sized Idaho Potatoes
- 3 tbs Olive Oil Kosher
- Salt to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tbs Parsley – finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice potatoes into 3 inch sticks.
- Place potato sticks in a medium sized bowl filled with water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from water and drain on paper towels.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tbs olive oil. Place in the oven for 5 minutes to heat the oil.
- Place the potato sticks in a bowl and pour in salt, pepper, and about 1 tbs olive oil and mix to coat.
- Spread potatoes on baking sheet from oven in a single layer.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until fries are nicely browned, stirring them once or twice during cooking so they brown evenly.
- Remove from the tray and drain on paper towels.
- Mix in parsley and serve hot.