This week we kicked off the Rice Krispies Making Memories Summer Challenge – the theme… Summer Activities. My team, Team Philly, decided on a camping theme. We had so much fun with it! We were once again challenged to create a signature Rice Krispies Treat recipe and coordinating display around the given theme. This was the second challenge we completed in a series of four through a promotion with The Motherhood. So our team leader Sarah pitched a tent in her backyard and we all got to work.
Our signature recipe was a S’mores Rice Krispies Treat which we served on a stick. Everything is more fun to eat on a stick and we wanted it to resemble making s’mores around a campfire. We created the campfire using Cocoa Rice Krispies Treats, which we layered with marshmallow cream, rolled up and cut into “logs.” We stacked our Krispies logs to resemble logs in a fire, we stuck red & yellow licorice “flames” out of the middle and surrounded our fire with well toasted (okay charred) marshmallows for coal. We completed our tabletop display with “fishing” Rice Krispies Treats, Rice Krispie Marshmallow Skewers and a Rice Krispies Watermelon cake.
All of our recipes were centered on the basic Rice Krispies Treat. Our signature recipe for the S’mores Rice Krispies Treat was a thick rectangular cut Rice Krispies Treat (made with the basic recipe), placed on a stick, dipped in milk chocolate, coated with a thick layer of graham cracker crumbs and piped with marshmallow creme.
Recipe: S’mores Rice Krispies Treat
- 3 Tbs Unsalted Butter
- 4 cups Mini-Marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 24 oz. Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp – 1 Tbs Corn Oil
- 1 box Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 jar Marshmallow Creme
- 1 package Wooden Skewers
- Make the basic Rice Krispies Treat recipe: Melt the butter and marshmallows in a large pot over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and mix in the cereal. Combining well. Spread in a buttered pan (with 2 – 3″ sides) to cool and cut into rectangles. Insert sticks into one end of each rectangle.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. Add in a little corn oil to thin slightly. Dip one end of a Rice Krispies Treat on the stick into the chocolate using a spoon to help evenly coat the treat on all sides. Coat the chocolate about 2/3 of the way down the treat.
- Dip the chocolate covered Rice Krispies in Graham Cracker crumbs and generously coat. Set on a tray lined with wax paper to dry.
- Pipe the bottom of the chocolate with a line of Marshmallow Creme. Decoratively pipe additional Marshmallow Creme on the treat for added taste and flair.
To make the Watermelon Cake: Make the traditional Rice Krispies Treat recipe and mold into a circle before cooling. Decorate with red and green icing and adorn with chocolate chips for seeds.
To make the Fishing Treats: Make the traditional Rice Krispies Treat recipe and cut out into fish shapes, using chocolate chips for eyes. Unfold a paper clip and attach one end to a bendy straw. Thread a gummy worm (bait) on to the other end of the paper clip before attaching it to the fishy Rice Krispies Treat.
We all really enjoyed working on this challenge we got creative and just had a lot of fun!
You can see more of the Rice Krispies Making Memories Challenge on The Motherhood. Take a peek at all 4 competing team challenges.
Each of our blogs below are also running a $100 giveaway! Go visit Team Philly and comment!
I’ll be adding my other team members as their posts go live.
Here’s how to WIN the $100 Visa Gift Card:
1) Leave a comment here telling me how you might take a tray of basic Rice Krispies Treats and turn it into a fun dessert for a summer activity.
2) For additional entries to win: Blog, Tweet, and/or Facebook a link to this post. Leave a comment here letting me know in separate entries.
Post this on Twitter or Facebook Enter to win a $100 Visa Gift Card via @cookingwithz http://bit.ly/kZ3JT1 #RiceKrispies
4) Contest ends at midnight July 26, 2011. Winner will be randomly selected via Random.org .
Abbreviated Rules. No Purchase Necessary. Begins no earlier than 12:00:00 AM (ET) on 6/14/11 and ends no later than 11:59:59 PM (ET) on 7/26/11. For complete Official Rules, go to http://web.mediacdt.com/docs/RKGiveawaySummer.pdf. Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Subject to complete Official Rules. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: The Motherhood; www.TheMotherhood.com.