Dinner tonight. I recently discovered Ricotta Gnocchi. I had to try it. I wanted to make it light and summery so I came up with this light flavorful sauce loaded with summer’s bounty of zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes. My husband though feels a meal is not a meal without meat. So for him, I served some poultry sausage on the side.
Recipe: Ricotta Gnocchi
- 10.5 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg – beaten
- 1 cup Flour, plus extra for dusting Kosher Salt
- In a medium sized bowl mix ricotta with egg until smooth.
- Add in flour and salt and combine until you have a soft dough. Add a little additional flour if necessary.
- Lightly dust a Silpat mat or cutting board with flour. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each section into a 1/2″ diameter rope. Slice rope at 1′” intervals and place dough pillows on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Place baking sheet in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Boil pasta for 4 minutes, until the gnocchi floats. Reserving a little pasta water.
Recipe: Roasted Summer Vegetable Wine Sauce
- 1 Zucchini – chopped
- 1 Eggplant – chopped
- 1/2 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 tbs Olive Oil
- 1/2 a large Yellow Onion – finely diced
- 3 stems Thyme Leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 2 cups White Wine
- 1 tbs Butter unsalted
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place zucchini, eggplant and cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet. Mix with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread out in one layer. Roast vegetables for 25 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Saute onions over medium heat until opaque about 5 minutes add in thyme and garlic. Saute 10 min over low heat.
- Add in wine and simmer 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk in butter.
- Add vegetables into pan simmer until heated. Add in pasta water if necessary to make sauce more liquid.
- Remove thyme stems and add sauce to gnocchi.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and serve.
Meal type: dinner