I had about an hour to turn Italian Sausage into dinner. I turned to the pantry and found a box of pasta and can of white beans and an onion and some tomatoes in the vegetable basket. A sausage, white bean, pasta bake topped with tomato slices. Done. It was hearty and pretty tasty and I had enough leftovers to reheat for lunch the next day.
Recipe: Sausage, White Bean, Pasta Bake
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage
- 1/2 lb. Pasta (I used Rotini)
- 2 tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Reserved Pasta Water
- 1 can (14 oz.) Cannelloni Beans
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices White Bread, crusts removed
- 2 tbs. Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (add amount according to taste)
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make pasta: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for pasta. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Reserve a 1/2 cup of the water used to cook the pasta before draining. Drain and set aside.
- Cook Sausages – While you are waiting for the pasta water to boil, place sausages in a saute pan and add in enough water to come 1/2 up the sausages. Bring to a boil, cover the pan, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then drain water. While the pasta is cooking, slice sausages into 1/2″ – 3/4″ slices and brown in the pan. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the pan that was used to cook sausages. Over medium heat, saute onions for 3 minute. Add in garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes, until onions and garlic are soft but not brown. Add wine and bay leaf, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any remaining brown bits. Pour in reserved pasta water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cannelloni beans along with sausage chunks and simmer 2 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- While wine mixture simmers, roughly tear the white bread in large pieces and place in a food processor with parsley. Pulse until you have fine bread crumbs. Add in Parmesan and pulse to combine. Through the tube add in 1 tbs. Olive Oil and pulse again to combine.
- While the sausage and white bean mixture simmers, generously butter a casserole dish and pour the pasta into the bottom. Top with the sausage & white bean mixture. Place the sliced tomatoes over the top. Then sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and a salad.