I love ice cream, especially homemade. I still have peaches left so i concocted this peach ice cream for dessert. I saw Sass & Veracity’s recipe for Peachiest Peach Ice Cream with Attitude recently. This is my version. Alcohol doesn’t freeze, so I like adding a little to ice-cream to keep the ice cream from getting too hard in the freezer. I wanted a little extra flavor than regular sugar. I was torn between brown sugar and honey and opted for the brown sugar. I thought it would nicely compliment the bourbon.In the interest of time, I didn’t peel the peaches. I think next time I would peel them. The ice-cream turned out well but I think I would have preferred it without the tiny bits of skin adding extra texture.
Recipe: Peachy Brown Sugar Bourbon Ice Cream
- 6 Ripe Peaches – peeled or unpeeled your choice and chopped
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Orange – juiced
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 3 Eggs – beaten
- 1 tbs Bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- Place chopped peaches, sugar and juice of 1/2 an orange in medium sized bowl and gently combine. Cover and set-aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and brown sugar and scald.
- Pour 1/2 of scalded milk into a bowl containing beaten eggs constantly whisking as you add the milk. Pour egg and scalded brown sugar milk mixture back into the saucepan, add bourbon and cook over low heat whisking constantly. Cook about 5-10 minutes until the custard is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat, strain into a bowl, whisk in heavy cream and place in an ice bath to chill.
- While custard is chilling, puree the peaches in a food processor until smooth. Whisk together chilled custard and pureed peach mixture. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Transfer to a container, cover, and continue to chill in the freezer.
Meal type: dessert