A great, versatile and easy appetizer. I have used Fig Jam and Marsala Jam, but you can really use any kind you wish. You can assemble these a couple hours ahead of time, cover them, place them in the fridge and then bake just before serving.
Recipe: Goat Cheese – Fig Beggar’s Purses
- 1 package of Phyllo dough
- 16 oz Goat Cheese
- 1 jar Fig Jam
- 2 tbs Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 bunch of Chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer about 3-4 sheets phyllo dough and brush in between each sheet and on top with melted butter. Cut the phyllo dough into 3″ squares.
- In the center of each square place 1 tablespoon goat cheese and top with about 1 teaspoon jam.
- Gather phyllo around filling and tie a chive in a knot to close the purse.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, until phyllo is a golden brown in color. Serve immediately.
Phyllo dough dries out easily. Only keep the phyllo sheets you are working with out of the fridge and try to work quickly. I also found that it helps to make a circle with the chive before putting it around the top of the phyllo and then tighten it around the top.