This month’s challenge was brought to us by Linda and Dave of MonkeyShines in the Kitchen. They challenged us to make souffle. I have to admit I have never made a souffle before. They have a reputation of being very difficult. When I said I was making a souffle my husband said it the only thing he knew about souffles was that Jack Tripper made them and they would always fall. I opted to make a sweet souffle. I am so glad I tried it. It wasn’t difficult to make at all. Though, I must say, while mine did rise I wasn’t entirely happy with how high it rose. But now I am inspired to keep making them to perfect it. I think I am going to try a savory souffle next.
Recipe: Milk Chocolate Souffle with Nougat Whip
- 12 oz High-Quality Milk Chocolate (I used Lindt), chopped
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 large Egg Yolks
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 large Egg Whites – brought to room temperature
- 2 tbs Sugar
- 1 large Egg White – brought to room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbs Honey
- 1/3 cup chilled Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tbs Amaretto
- 1/4 cup Almonds – sliced and toasted
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Butter souffle dish and sprinkle with sugar, coating completely and tapping out any excess.
- Combine chocolate and cream in a large bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from over water.
- Mix egg yolks and salt into chocolate mixture.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until semi-firm peaks form. Fold 1/4 of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture. Fold remaining egg whites into chocolate mixture in 2 additions.
- Fill chocolate mixture into prepared souffle dish. Bake souffle until puffed and tops feel firm, about 16 – 18 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg white in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add honey, beating until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Combine cream and amaretto in another medium bowl and beat until thick and soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream mixture and almonds into meringue.
- Serve souffle immediately with Nougat Whip on the side.