I love apple pie in the fall, okay well anytime, but especially in the fall. I have a couple different recipes that I use but this one is my go-to recipe. I just love it. It may very well be the best apple pie I have ever made. Dollop some ice cream on top for total bliss. I served this pie the last time with Vanilla-Bourbon Ice Cream. A truly stellar combination.
I also had so much fun playing with my fall leaf pie crust cut outs from Williams Sonoma. They made my pie look oh so pretty and it was so easy to do.
Recipe: Brandied Caramel Apple Pie
- 4 tart Apples – peeled, cored and sliced into 16ths
- 1/3 cup Brandy
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 3 tbs Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbs Cornstarch
- 1 tbs Water
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Egg
- tbs Milk
- Prepare pie dough and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine apples, brandy cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom in bowl. Cover and marinate apples for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in both sugars and stir to combine. Add in apple mixture and cook until golden brown and bubbly. Mix together cornstarch and water. Add to pan and stir in. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add in lemon juice. Let cool in pan while you prepare pie crust.
- Roll out pie dough and press into pie dish. Trim overhang and crimp edges. Place in fridge to chill.
- Roll out second disc of pie dough and cut-out decorative leaves.
- Remove crust from fridge and fill with apple mixture. Place leaves decoratively on top of pie.
- Beat together milk and egg. Brush top pie crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge of pie dough with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking another 20 minutes. Bake until pie is golden brown and bubbly.
Meal type: dessert