I made this dessert last week. I really enjoyed the combination of the pears, custard, spices and almonds. They all worked well together. And this dessert was very simple to put together.
Recipe: Pear & Almond Tart
- Prepared Pie Crust
- 2 Large Pears – peeled, cored and halved
- 1 Lemon – cut in half
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tbs Brandy
- 1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 tsp Confectioners Sugar plus additional for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pie crust and press into a 7″ fluted tart pan and place in the fridge.
- Cut the pears as if you were going to slice them crosswise but do not go all the way through. So your slices are still mostly connected at the bottom. Squeeze lemon juice lightly over the pears to keep them from browning and gently pull open your slices to fan them out a bit. Place the pears going in a circle in the tart pan. The narrow parts of the pear halves should be pointing away from the center. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the pears and crust are baking, prepare the custard. Whisk together the eggs and sugar until they are frothy. Whisk in cream and brandy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar and almonds so the almonds are nicely coated.
- When the pears are finished the first 25 minutes of baking pour the custard over top. Sprinkle the almonds over top.
- Bake in the oven an additional 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar.