This was such a good and comforting meal last night. Perfect on a chilly fall evening. I made the crust and the whole dish was so yummy. If you are short on time you can buy pre-paired pie dough. But if you do have the time, make you own, it is well worth it. I used to shy away from making pie dough but it is soo easy, I love making it now. I have a basic recipe that I alter for sweet or savory dishes. For this one, I reduced the sugar and added 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves to the dough. I suggest reading through the whole recipe before making it, there are many things that can be done simultaneously.
Recipe: Autumn Chicken Pot Pie
- Prepared Pie Dough – use 1 tsp sugar and add in 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme leaves to dry ingredients
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Split Chicken Breasts
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Turnips – peeled & chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 Carrots – chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 24 oz. Chicken Broth – low sodium, low fat
- 2 tbs Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Leek – sliced, pale green & white part only
- 1 large Shallot – minced
- 1 large stalk Celery – diced
- 1 tbs Fresh Thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms – sliced
- 1/8 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 oz. Dry White Wine
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 oz. Heavy Cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2 quart casserole dish and set aside. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven on a baking sheet for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from the oven and increase oven to 400 degrees. Allow to cool slightly and then remove skin and chop into bite size pieces. Add to prepared casserole dish.
- While chicken is roasting, heat chicken broth in a medium saucepan. Add turnips and carrots. Simmer for 10 minutes until tender. Remove carrots & turnips with a slotted spoon and place in prepared casserole dish. Reserve 16 oz. of the broth.
- Cook Mushrooms while carrots and turnips are simmering. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small pan over medium heat and saute mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and cook 8-10 minutes until the begin to caramelize. Add mustard seeds and saute 1 minute. Add 2 ounces wine and cook until the wine evaporates. Mix mushrooms into carrots & turnips.
- Melt butter in a saute pan and add leeks, celery, shallots and thyme saute about 10 minutes over medium heat, until vegetables are soft. Add in flour and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add in broth and the remaining wine. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add in cream whisking constantly and cook about 6 minutes, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Mix into chicken & vegetable mixture and spread out evenly in casserole dish.
- Roll out pie dough so it is 1/4″ thick and will cover your casserole dish. Place on top, trim crust if necessary press edges into casserole dish. Cut a few vents in the top of the crust.
- Optional: Cut out leaves from the remaining pie dough and adhere to crust with a little water.
- Place the rack in the top 1/3 of the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving.